Disney Enters ‘Shang-Chi’ into Consideration for 14 Oscar Categories
One of the biggest films in 2021, Marvel continues to take on The Academy as Disney enters Shang-Chi into consideration for 14 Oscar categories.
The story of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings proved to be a monumental success in Marvel’s post-2020 rennsaiance.
A brand new Marvel star was born in the form of Simu Liu, and the film was a beautiful ride that honored Eastern culture, while never ceasing to maintain the classic Marvel flair that the MCU has come to be known.
But, is it Oscar-worthy? Disney certainly thinks so
The studio has gone above and beyond and placed the film up for every single eligible award for 2021 as Disney enters Shang-Chi into consideration for 14 Oscar categories.
Here is the list as it currently stands:
- Best Picture: Kevin Feige and Jonathan Schwartz
- Best Director: Destin Daniel Cretton
- Best Actor: Simu Liu
- Best Supporting Actress: Awkwafina, Meng-er Zhang, Fala Chen, and Michelle Yeoh
- Best Supporting Actor: Fliran Munteanu, Benedict Wong, Yuen Wah, Ben Kingsley, and Tony Leung
- Best Adapted Screenplay: Dave Callaham, Destin Daniel Cretton, and Andrew Lanham
- Best Production Design: Sue Chan and Rebecca Cohen
- Best Cinematography: William Pope
- Best Sound: Katy Wood, J.R. Grubbs, Onnalee Blank, CAS, Lora Hirschberg, and Guntis Sics
- Best Original Score: Joel P. West
- Best Film Editing: Nat Sanders, ACE, Elizabet Ronaldsdottir, ACE, and Harry Yoon, ACE
- Best Costume Design: Kym Barrett
- Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Rick Findlater and Lara Birch
- Best Visual Effects: Christopher Townsend, Joe Farrell, Sean Walker, and Dan Oliver
- Best Original Song: “Fire in the Sky” Written by Anderson Paal, Bruno Mars, and Nicholas “SunZoo” Race
According to Wegotthiscovered.com, Only three movies in history have ever scored 14 nominations; 1950’s All About Eve, Titanic, and La La Land.
With the rare air of those classics, it certainly appears unlikely, but if any big-budget film was going to buck convention and do the unthinkable, it would be Shang-Chi; after all, the films have been counted out before.